09 Jan Purging in 2023
Are you purging in 2023? Well, with the New Year upon us, it’s time to eliminate records you no longer need.
The Benefits of Document Purging
The New Year usually signifies change. With change comes cleaning, usually. Whether it’s purging your closet, material items, or pantry, please ensure document purging in your clean-out. It can be easy to keep documents forever, but there is a time when it’s okay to get rid of them, especially those important documents like bank statements. Before throwing them out, make sure to shred them to keep all of your information confidential.
Documents to Shred Immediately
Some documents don’t need to be kept past the day you receive them. It’s okay to get rid of the below documents ASAP but shred them before tossing them straight in the garbage.
- Sales receipts (unless you need them for tax purposes; in that case, scan them first)
- ATM receipts
- Packing slips and online purchase orders
- Canceled and voided checks (that aren’t tax-related)
- Utility, internet, and cellphone bills (once paid)
- Credit card, insurance, and bank account solicitations that come in the mail
- Expired warranty coverage
- Correspondences from the DMV or IRS (once settled)
- Travel-related materials (besides your passport)
Documents to Shred after One Year
Take the time to review your important documents like the ones listed below. If they’ve been in your possession for over a year, it’s time to shred them and toss them.
- Bank statements
- Credit card statements (once paid)
- Pay stubs
- Medical Bills (once paid and no insurance disputes)
If you have been storing a few boxes or an entire garage full of documents and no longer need them, call Greenway! Schedule a pickup time with Greenway Shredding and Recycling for a one-time purge. One of our drivers will collect your boxes and transport them to our facilities, where they will be destroyed with our cross-shred technology, and you will receive a certificate of destruction after the service.
Greenway Shredding and Recycling is AAA-certified by the National Association for Information Destruction (NAID). Contact us at (502) 749-0390 if you have any questions or would like to schedule a one-time pickup!